11 Poisonous Plants for Dogs

Dogs eat things they shouldn’t. It’s a fact. Unfortunately, sometimes it includes some of the most poisonous plants for dogs. While this is not a complete list, all eleven of these make PetMD’s list of plants to avoid, among others.

What Are Some Poisonous Plants for Dogs?

  • Tulips (tulipa) – These beautiful springtime bulbs cause gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea and stomach pain. They have also been responsible for central nervous system depression, convulsions, and even death. The flowers and stem are toxic, but the bulb is especially dangerous. Most bulb plants are toxic to dogs; including amaryllis, gladiolus, daffodil, garlic and onion.
Tulips, like all bulb plants, are toxic to dogs.
  • Azalea (Rhododendron) – These spectacular flowering bushes often used in hedges cause gastrointestinal issues, discoordination, a weak heart rate or arrhythmia, low blood pressure, drooling, muscle weakness, and can be potentially fatal. All parts of the plant are toxic – the flowers, leaves, seeds, and the honey made from the nectar. Rhododendrons are among the most poisonous plants for dogs.
Azaleas are among the most poisonous plants for dogs.
  • Sago Palm (Cycas revoluta) – This is an indoor plant to be cautious of. It can cause gastrointestinal problems, tremors, seizures, and possible liver failure. All parts of the palm are toxic, but the seeds are the most dangerous. The sago palm is one of the most poisonous plants for dogs.
The sago palm is a house plant in most parts of the United States.
  • Oleander (Nerium oleander) – This hardy, low maintenance flowering shrub is popular in backyards and public spaces alike. Along with the typical gastrointestinal issues, ingestion can cause lethargy, liver failure, and possible death. It interferes with the heart’s ability to beat properly. Immediate care from a veterinary hospital is essential for recovery. All parts of the plant are highly toxic for dogs.
Oleander poisoning requires immediate medical attention if ingested by a dog.
  • Yew (Taxus) – This common evergreen is typically found outdoors. Every part of this plant is toxic including the red berries and can cause sudden death. Other symptoms include trembling, muscle weakness, trouble breathing, collapse, and heart problems. Yew is highly toxic and among the most poisonous plants for dogs.
Squirrel sitting in a yew tree.
  • English Ivy (Hedera helix) – This woody vine can act as a ground cover or climb up a wall or along a fence. While all parts are toxic, the toxin as especially concentrated in the leaves. The sap may cause skin irritation and ingesting the leaves causes drooling and gastrointestinal distress.
  • Lily of the Valley (Convallaria majalis) – This flowering plant can be seen indoors and outdoors depending on climate. All parts of the lily plant are toxic. Ingestion can cause vomiting, irregular heartbeat, reduced blood pressure, confusion and disorientation. Severe seizures or coma have occurred as well.
Lily of the Valley is a poisonous plant for dogs.
  • Castor Bean (Ricinus communis) – This semi-woody evergreen tree is less popular in backyards and is more often found in parks and large landscape projects. It also grows wild in the Southeast region of the United States. The beans of this plant are used to make castor oil and just a few can be fatal. If ingested, it will cause drooling and gastrointestinal issues. Severe cases may see muscle twitching, tremors, seizures or even coma. Castor bean is an extremely poisonous plant for dogs.
The castor bean plant is used for castor oil and ingestion of the seeds can be fatal for dogs.
  • Cyclamen (Cyclamen) – Cyclamen is commonly found as a houseplant, although it is found in gardens in appropriate climates as well. When the main parts of the plant are eaten, it can cause drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea. If the roots are ingested, it can affect the heart rate and rhythms and may cause death. This colorful plant with its upright blooms is one of the most poisonous plants for dogs.
Cyclamen causes gastrointestinal and heart problems for dogs upon ingestion, even death.
  • Dumb Cane (diffenbachia) – This is a tropical flowering indoor plant with large leaves. All parts of the plant contain needle-shaped calcium oxalate crystals which are similar to microscopic pieces of glass. Chewing or ingesting these will cause vomiting, swelling of the mouth and throat, severe oral pain, pawing at the mouth or eyes, severe skin irritation, coughing, gagging, and/or drooling. In fact, merely coming in contact with the leaves or other parts of this plant can cause symptoms as well.
Dumb cane or diffenbachia is a tropical house plant with large leaves containing needle like calcium oxalate crystals.
  • Chrysanthemum (chrysanthemum) – Chrysanthemums, including daisies, are popular indoor and outdoor annuals, depending on the species. These cause vomiting, diarrhea, skin rash and drooling if ingested. All parts of the plant are toxic, particularly the flowers.
All parts of the chrysanthemum plant are toxic to dogs, especially the flowers.

Again, this is not a full list of plants toxic to dog. There are many other common plants you may have in your home or backyard that could pose a threat to your dog. Familiarize yourself with your plants against the list and checkout potential problems before they become big issues.

In case of accidental poisoning: ASPCA Poison Control

PlexiDor Dog Doors wishes everyone a happy and healthy summer. Before you give your dog unlimited access to the backyard with a PlexiDor Dog Door, ensure the yard is free from toxic plants. Happy gardening!

See More Like This

Article

The Long and Low Dachshund

Article

Do I Need An Extra Large Dog Door?