Keep laundry detergent pods out of reach

Laundry detergent pods are convenient for making sure you use the right amount of detergent. Just make sure you store and keep them out of reach of pets and children – they are highly toxic.

As an adult it’s often hard to predict what will be dangerous, because we think like adults. We know laundry detergent goes in the laundry machine and not in the mouth. Unfortunately, the pods can look like candy to small children, and like toys to pets. They look fun to kick around, hold between the paws, and chew on.

Laundry detergent pods are dangerous to pets and children

But, isn’t the detergent in plastic?

Not exactly. The pods are designed to hold detergent until the shell comes in contact with moisture – such as the water in the laundry machine or your child’s or pet’s saliva. The detergent in the pods is highly concentrated and much more dangerous than most regular detergents.

When released, the detergent can cause life-threatening damage to the respiratory system, burning of the stomach and trachea, and eye damage.

Symptoms of contact with a pod include drooling, vomiting, difficulty swallowing, and respiratory problems. Many times, the pod is gone – already swallowed – and it’s difficult to know what’s causing the symptoms.

The problem is easy to remedy. Keep your detergent in a secure shelf where your pets and children can’t reach it. Never leave a pod lying around the house, not even on top of a laundry pile.


See More Like This


Glass House or French Door with a Dog Door? How Does That Work?


The PlexiDor Sliding Glass Dog Door and Your Active Dog