By now most pet owners know dogs and cats shouldn’t have chocolate, raisins, onions, and macadamia nuts. Many other common every-day objects are also very dangerous to cats and dogs, and they’re so small and common it’s easy to forget they’re easily available in an open purse or on a table.
Human medications like Advil, Motrin, and Tylenol are present in almost every home, and very dangerous to pets. The acetaminophen in one Tylenol is enough to kill a cat or cause severe liver problems in a dog.
Asthma inhalers can also pose a problem if a pet chews on them. If a dog were to bite through the shell, the substance inside is enough to cause an acute, life-threatening poisoning.
Most chewing gums and mints contain xylitol. Xylitol is also common in chewable vitamins, sugar free candy, and nicotine gum. Xylitol is very toxic to dogs.
Also look out for all forms of nicotine. Cigarettes, smokeless tobacco, e-cigarette cartridges and fluid, nicotine gum, lozenges, anything with nicotine can potentially kill a pet.
Another common item that can be found in many cars, purses, and backpacks is hand sanitizer. These products contain lots of alcohol and can potentially cause coma and death in pets.
Prevention is naturally the best. Create good habits with putting potentially dangerous things away. If you still think your pet got into something poisonous, call your veterinarian at once. If the cat really ate something they shouldn’t have minutes can matter, and the sooner you get the correct diagnose the easier, safer, and less expensive it will be to treat your pet.