Love dogs? Here are some fun and little known facts about our furry friends.
1. It is impossible to put an exact figure on the number of dogs in the world; many are strays, and large parts of the world do not require pet registration. Estimates point to well over 500 million.
2. Of registered dogs around the world, the Labrador Retriever is the most popular. The Labradors’ friendly disposition, merry temperament, and patience with other pets as well as children make them great pets. Many also work as guide dogs and police dogs.
3. Most people know dogs have an excellent sense of smell. But how good is it? An average dog can differentiate odors in concentrations nearly 100 million times lower than a human can.
4. A dog’s whiskers are important instruments helping the dog navigate the world, and they should never be cut off. The whiskers can sense tiny changes in airflow, and help the dog determine if something is close to its face.
5. Experts disagree on how long humans and dogs have been together, but it might be as long as 30,000 years.