February 14th was the annual pet theft awareness day in the USA. Pets are stolen every day around the year, but there are some easy safety measures to take that will reduce the risk, and some tips that might help with retrieving a lost pet.
- Make sure that your pet is microchipped and that your information is updated. This will aid in returning a lost or stolen pet to you.
- Never leave your pet unattended in a car or public area.
- Keep an accurate identification file for your pet. This should include a detailed description and several photos.
- Visit your local animal shelters at once, and keep checking back with them every day. It is also a good idea to visit veterinarians in the area, contact animal services, and the police.
- Search everywhere. Pets can hide in strange places.
- Use the power of social media. Post pictures on your Facebook page and ask people to share.
- Distribute flyers, talk to neighbors, and chat with delivery men, postal workers, and others that move around your area on a daily basis.
For more tips on what to do if your pet is missing, see this post on the PlexiDor Blog.